A classic whodunit for the most perceptive reading groups.
Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing 80, but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves to solve the puzzle behind the demise of a local property developer. If our unorthodox but brilliant gang can catch the killer before it’s too late, there’s no reason your book club buddies shouldn’t be able to do the same. Here are some questions to separate the rookies from the sleuths.
Discussion points and questions:
- Who do you like best: Joyce, Elizabeth, Ibrahim or Ron? Why?
- Joyce was a nurse, Elizabeth was in the secret service, Ibrahim was a psychiatrist and Ron was a trade union leader. Who do you think was most helpful in solving the crime?
- Did you think that PC Donna De Freitas and DCI Chris Hudson made a good team? What did one bring that the other lacked, and vice versa?
- Joyce says ‘I am very happy to be overlooked and always have been. And I do think perhaps that will be helpful in this investigation.’ Do you agree?
- As Val McDermid said, at the heart of this book is a ‘warning never to underestimate the elderly’. Who misjudges the residents of Cooper’s Chase the most?
- Who did you think the killer was? What made you think it was them?
- One of the recurring themes is the grey area between the law and each character’s moral code. Do you think Penny’s husband, John, did the right thing? How about Penny?
Done binging the latest TV sensation? Pick up a book and keep the good times rolling.
An unputdownable Australian novel to read with your book club.
A standout book club novel. Unputdownable and thought-provoking.
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Ponder whether one life is worth more than another with Fiona McIntosh's latest thriller.
This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
Meet the characters from The Summer I Turned Pretty books. Learn about the main characters and important family members who play a role in the trilogy.
Take this quiz to find out which character you’re most like from The Summer I Turned Pretty.
The Cunninghams don't really get along, and every one of them has killed someone. Meet the family to help you find the culprit.
Benjamin Stevenson talks to us about his new must-have mystery and his friend's odd act that inspired his book.
Five students get detention, only four leave alive. How far would you go to protect your secrets?