Sweep your book club off to Malaysia with this spellbinding novel of war and family betrayal.
What happens when secrets fester through the generations? What happened to Durga's mother after she gave birth? Why did so many of their family members disappear during the war? And who is to blame for the childhood tragedy that haunts Durga? Ponder these questions as you read Catherine Menon's Fragile Monsters, then use the discussion points below to get the conversation started.
Discussion points and questions:
- The characters in Fragile Monsters are captivating but often behave very badly. Did the characters’ bad behaviour, these ‘fragile monsters’, make the novel more or less compelling?
- How do you think the author manages to draw out the reader’s sympathy for her characters?
- Malaysia in the Second World War is a fascinating and vital part of 20th century history. What effect did the real historical backdrop have on your reading of the novel?
- The landscape is so richly evoked in Fragile Monsters. What part do you think the heat, the floods, the mud play in the novel?
- What did you think happened in the end (no spoilers!)?
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Ponder whether one life is worth more than another with Fiona McIntosh's latest thriller.
This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
Track down your reading group to discuss Candice Fox's latest thriller.
Stephanie Johnson shares discussion points and questions for her new book Everything Changes in this book club guide.
A tale of extraordinary friendship and a lifetime of stories to share with your book club pals.
A classic whodunit for the most perceptive reading groups.
Sweep your book club off to the sun-kissed vineyards of rural France.
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
The bestselling author discusses tapping back into Jack's world, twisty-turny stories and her favourite crime dramas.
The Booker Prize winning author answers our questions about his strangely beautiful story about hope and love and orange-bellied parrots: The Living Sea of Waking Dreams.