Get the kids to help you in the kitchen for this one! Mix and roll the meatballs in advance, or cook the whole meatball and sauce element of the recipe beforehand, if you wish. Our Family Foodies loved this recipe!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Rosemary and garlic baked lamb meatballs
- 600g lamb mince
- ¾ cup fine dried breadcrumbs
- ½ brown onion, very finely diced or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary leaves
- ½ brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and pale green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 1 x 670ml jar tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup grated cheese (mozzarella, Parmesan, Colby, Edam or tasty)
- 400g fresh fettuccine (or 350g dried)
- 3–4 handfuls of green leafy salad
- ¼ cup basil leaves
Preheat oven and a medium-sized casserole/lasagne-style dish to 220°C. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Combine all rosemary and garlic baked lamb meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well using clean hands. Use a tablespoon to measure mixture and roll into balls about the size of a golf ball. Place into preheated baking dish, in a single layer, and bake for 10 minutes.
- While meatballs bake, prepare the sauce. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium-sized pot on medium heat. Cook onion and leek for 3–4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic, courgette, carrot and oregano and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add passata, sugar, salt and balsamic vinegar and bring to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 3–4 minutes, until slightly thickened. Season to taste with pepper.
- Remove meatballs from oven and pour sauce over to cover. Sprinkle over cheese and bake for a further 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden. If cheese does not become golden, turn oven to high grill and grill for 2 minutes.
- Cook fettuccine in pot of boiling water according to packet instructions, until al dente (just tender). Drain and gently toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
To serve, divide fettuccine among plates and top with rosemary and garlic baked lamb meatballs and sauce. Serve salad on the side and garnish with basil leaves.